We give students opportunities to express their creativity, experience Canadian culture and let off steam.
A professional music tutor visits SOC to conduct lessons in piano and violin. We will add more instrument options as requests arise.
There is a full-size gymnasium on campus, where you will often see students playing soccer or basketball between classes or at the end of the school day.
SOC has also negotiated preferential membership to the local YMCA, where students have access to the centre’s excellent amenities including Olympic-size swimming pool, weight rooms, exercise machines, basketball courts and more.
We believe that part of the students’ education is to become acquainted with Canadian life, Canadian values and Canadian culture. As such, we arrange a several excursions and holiday-themed activities through the year:
- September: Ontario University Fair held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre
- October: Pumpkin Patch
- Halloween: Students are given the opportunity to dress up and we often have Halloween candy in the office for “Trick or Treat”
- Thanksgiving Feast with traditional Canadian Food (Turkey, ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce)
- Art Gallery of Hamilton
- February: Valentine’s Party
- Winter: Chicopee tube park: http://chicopeetubepark.com/summer/index.html
- Canada’s Wonderland
- Christmas Concert followed by a traditional Feast
- Graduation ceremonies:
- Scottish Rite
We also encourage our students to explore the many amenities available in the city of Hamilton. Given our enviable location in downtown Hamilton, students are have access to art galleries, sporting events, shopping malls, cinemas, restaurants and more.
Hamilton Public Library
SOC is just a few minutes walk to the Central Branch of Hamilton Public Library. We help students complete the Library membership and the Library arranges small group tours specifically for SOC students to make them aware of the wide range of resources available including:
- private study spaces and reading rooms that the students can use for group assignments or more concentrated work.
- special programs and opportunities for ESL learners
- a maker space with 3D Printing
- music recording studio
- film studio
- computer stations
- photocopy/printer/scanner stations
- thousands of books as well as music and films available for download