录取条件： Students with at least Form 2/Sec 1/Junior Middle 2, SS2, SS3 or WAEC can apply.
入学时间： April, August, December.
When they reach SOC, each student must take tests in English and Math. This is to gauge their level and find any knowledge gaps or areas of need. We also look at each student’s past academic record through a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) exercise. Using the details gathered, we can make a plan just for them.
We evaluate the transcript of each new student. This is to see how many credits they already have and how many more credits they need to earn the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
Since students come from many educational systems, we ensure consistency and fairness in assessing grade equivalency. We look to the student transfer guides published by the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada.
- Academic courses. These focus on theory and abstract problems.
- Applied courses. These focus on real applications of the material with examples.
- Open courses. These prepare students for further study in certain subjects and enrich their education.
In Grades 11 and 12, students take courses designed to equip them with the knowledge and skills they need to meet the entrance requirements for university and college.
School Course Calendar 2022-2023
Student progress is shown on the Provincial Report Card, Grades 9-12. This Report Card shows the student’s marks in each course. It also shows the student’s attendance record, learning skills and teachers’ assessments.
Levels of achievement are shown as a percentage:
|100-80%||Level 4: A very high to outstanding level of achievement. Above the provincial standard.|
|79-70%||Level 3: A high level of achievement. At the provincial standard. |
A student achieving this level is ready for work in the next grade.
|69-60%||Level 2: A moderate level of achievement. Below, but close to, the provincial standard.|
|59-50%||Level 1: A passable level of achievement. Below the provincial standard.|
|50-0%||Insufficient achievement. The student will not receive a credit for the course.|
40小时社区志愿者：: This is needed for the OSSD and for graduation. Since students may have already volunteered in their home countries, the Principal decides the number of hours of volunteering each student will have to complete at SOC.
We then set up volunteer placements for students locally such as:
- Wesley Urban圣诞中心 – Students help set up stock, display goods and serve as cashiers at this charity shop for less privileged families.
- 汉密尔顿市公园清洁计划 – Students help maintain the public Parks by clearing garbage, cleaning graffiti and other tasks.
- Good Shepherd协会 – Students help serve food to the poor and assist the organization with their special events.
These volunteering placements are a great chance for students to give back, to appreciate the privileges they enjoy and to help the city at large.